20200427

Saturday March 15, 1980

_. Don't worry. I didn't tell the staff at Bradford AHA that Ally has VD. Just to put your mind at rest.

Peter phoned me early on and said that he, Chippy and Dave W were going to Menston to inspect some morning suits for the July wedding, and did I want to join them? I readily agreed, but suggested that perhaps we should meet in the White Cross to discuss the cut and style of the proposed suits. I fried eggs and bacon before Pete and Chippy appeared at 12 o'clock. Ally phoned and I told her to come over and meet us at the White Cross, with Sue, at 1:30. The usual afternoon piss-up followed with only a fleeting visit to the tailor, who told us to return in May. Chippy Came back to lunch at ours [flat Yorkshire puddings] because Susan used the wrong flour. Afterwards we sat watching a film starring Claudette Colbert and Clark Gable. It was so old, Clark Gable was in short pants.

This evening to the Shoulder of Mutton where we sat next to the juke box shovelling in money. The youngsters had never heard of Sarah Vaughan and Billy Eckstein, two nineteenth century vocalists. A good laugh was had by all.  At 10 we moved on to the White Cross, full of yobs of varying degrees of nastiness. This Punk Rock craze seems so old fashioned already, but they cannot seem to see this. Gus told me a very funny joke about Jackie Onassis, but the details are vague. Afterwards, just Ally, Sue, Pete and I back to Pine Tops for a wild supper of baked beans [with garlic] and friend luncheon meat. To bed reeking like French peasants.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...