20200413

Wednesday February 6, 1980

_. Went in to the YP despite a streaming cold. Sarah refused to talk to me because of my snivelling. I oozed throughout the day.

Later: watched TV and drugged myself up with paracetamol and took Frankie Howerd's autobiography up to bed. 'On the Way I lost it'. It's a real tale of woe and degradation. We do take our great comedians for granted, don't we? We seldom think of the struggle that such people as Frankie endure to get to the top of the pile. Sitting in bed with my Lem-sip and pills.

Her Majesty succeeded to the throne 28 years ago today. Now that Queen Juliana of the Netherlands has announced her intention to abdicate in April I wonder whether such ideas are circulating in Queen Elizabeth's head? It has become a tradition in Holland for the monarch to abdicate but we do things quite differently here. Abdication reeks of Edward VIII and Mrs Simpson and is therefore entirely repugnant to our monarch. The Prince of Wales wouldn't want the throne yet.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...