20200701

Monday September 29, 1980

_. Sunny, but autumnal. With Ally to Rawdon, no Horsforth, where I got the bus to Leeds. She disappeared to Bradford in Charles Citroen.

At the YP for 8:10. Busy day. Read the Sunday papers, full of the Labour split. Callaghan may resign. I break into a cold sweat at the thought of Wedgwood Benn, I really do. John and Maria are now fanatical supporters of the Left, and were expounding their revolutionary beliefs on Saturday, in a Scottish tavern. I blame the Macdonald brain-washing, because John was never politically motivated.

Wyatt: Diana's ancestor.
Study Lady Diana Spencer's line in greater detail. She is descended from Sir Thomas Wyatt, who led the rebellion against Henry VIII in 1533, and from the 2nd Duke of Norfolk, grandfather of the unfortunate Queens Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard. Also up the tree are the Egerton Dukes of Bridgwater, the Villiers Earls of Jersey, the Forbes Earls of Granard, &c. One could go on indefinitely.

Phoned Ally tonight because I was too busy to do so in the day. Tony [from the Plough, Itchen Abbas] and Neil, came up to see her at 8 on Saturday morning, to find her absent. All that way for nothing.

Sue and Pete made a hurried visit solely to deliver laundry. I am now resigned to the fact that I left, abandoned, with Mama and Papa. They have accepted my 'dirty weekend' without comment, and the 'when are you going to get married?' jokes have ceased.

To bed at 12 after Barry Norman's 'Film 80'.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...