20200701

Tuesday September 30, 1980

_. Felt sufficiently secure to travel to Leeds with Jim & Jennie. She has now taken to locking my car door, as if she worries that I might wish to take my own life, throwing myself from the car as we speed through Headingley.

Dismal day. Shazzo plagues me, but I find her great fun all the same. All the others are so dull these days.

Sarah: afraid of Wedgwood Benn.
Sarah says she is afraid of Wedgwood Benn. I tried to reassure her telling her that he could never come to power having such ridiculous policies, but she insists it's only a matter of time. He plans to abolish the House of Lords, withdraw from the EEC, and nationalize everything in sight. Someone really should put a stop to him.

JPH's fourth birthday. Mum phoned John but JPH was out with Alec Clanachan [their only neighbour]. He promised to have the child phone her back. He did so, at 7:30, and I had a few words. He then sang 'Happy Birthday to You' for his Grandma, and she responded by calling him 'my little kipper face.'

I phoned Ally at 4:30. She was bored and suggested we venture out for alcoholic refreshment. I agreed wholeheartedly. To the Drop, the Crown at Yeadon, and then New Inn, followed by 'Time and Place' in Bradford. The latter quite excellent. Most things are quite excellent. Home in the early hours of Wednesday having taken the decision that neither of us have any intention of making an appearance at our places of work.

-=-


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...