20201116

Monday February 16, 1981

 _.Washington's Birthday Observance

Sunny and bright, &c. At the YP I telephoned my great-Aunt Anne to thank her for her engagement card. She sounded quite chirpy. She must be almost eighty I'm sure. I then phoned Denise to inform her of my 'news' and asked her to fix us up with a honeymoon on the island of Ios. She said I would be distracted by the nudity there but that Ios is one of the most unspoiled Greek islands. She was thrilled about the wedding and sought permission to tell MM the news. It seems I am now a celebrity.

Home at 6. Mum and Dad are very dull and do not enthuse about Scotland, which is odd. Normally I'd be listening to tales for weeks on end. I expected a visit from Ally at 8:30 but she phoned much later to say Graham and Charlotte Smith had phoned her and kept her for ages and then her mother had phoned afterwards and so didn't see the point in coming over for just a couple of hours. Evidently, her brother Graham had bumped into the Smiths in Winchester and told them of our news. They [the Smiths] are coming to stay with Ally in May.

To bed with the Peter Sellers biography at 11:30. Feeling groggy.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...