20200509

Thursday April 10, 1980

_. Lynn and Dave came to eat and were singing the praises of Stranraer to the extent that I thought they may soon be crossing the border and join the prodigal John Rhodeses in the heather.

Ally came at 7:30. We went to the Menston Arms. Joined by Mum, Dad, Sue, Pete. John & Maria didn't arrive until almost 10 o'clock accompanied by Jimmy Macdonald, Karim and her sister. Jimmy and I had our usual political debate. This one concerned the House of  Lords and the hereditary principle. Why should the upper house be dominated by life peers, retired MPs and personal friends of Sir Harold Wilson? The hereditary element brings younger people, not just professional politicians into the chamber.

At 10:30 we returned home to continue the party. Neither Karim or her sister joined us but Jimmy came along and the heated debate continued. I sat smoking on the fireplace. Maria, in good form, asked me from which jumble sale I'd bought my white jeans.

Ally, exhausted, collapsed in my bed. I carried on smoking and putting the world to rights.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...