20221105

Wednesday November 17, 1982

 Hideous wet day. Howling wind and rain. Furious activity. Ally up and out to the hairdresser at 9. I made the house look respectable, and dressed in my blackest clothes. Ally back at 10 looking beautiful. Frank & Bessie came at 11 and went went directly to Colne. To Uncle Tom's house for 12. Frank insisted on driving around for 15 minutes to shorten the stay in the home of the deceased. Inside, everyone stood grouped in the kitchen, some hideously cheerful and others near to collapse with grief. Met Ally's cousins Steven and David. Poor Hilda was lying in an open coffin in the sitting room, and we all had to file in for a prayer before leaving for Burnley Crematorium. I avoided looking at the corpse, but Ally caught a glimpse and burst into tears. This also upset Bessie who had been calm up to this point. Cremation over. I think I must be turning atheist. Ham sandwiches afterwards at Uncle Tom's. He is stunned and numbed by it all. Poor Auntie Hilda was only 47. Back to Bradford at 7. Ate at the Pizza House after having a drink at the Norfolk Gardens Hotel. Bed.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...