20240619

Friday June 29, 1984

 Moorhouse Inn, Leeds

Roy Barnes phoned me at dawn reeling about the LG-F.O'B brawl. I had to relate to him the smallest detail. He ruckled down the line. We are going to Middlesbrough on July 11. He wants us to stay the night at the Linthorpe, but this might be awkward. Later, Leslie Gledhill phoned and seemed distressed. He says the news has been leaked to the brewery. I feel very low because I told him that my lips have been sealed, and yet I have already blabbed to Rob and to Roy. If you want my opinion, Fran O'Brien has been telling everybody at Tadcaster so to discredit poor Les. At 5:30 David Tyne was on the phone asking for the whole story. I did my very best to be kind to LG and show him in a favourable light and when Tyne asked if F.O'B was 'provocative' I said a definite 'yes', and when he asked if either of them had been drinking I said a definite 'no'. He left saying that the the episode was 'disgraceful' and that he could 'knock both their heads together', but then added 'No, Knock both their heads off'. Tyne instructed me not to speak to Oliver Smith or to Mr Askew until I have first spoken to him again. Blimey, I'm at the centre of a major earth-shaking drama which could brings the Sam Smith empire crashing down. Bloody Hell.

The health visitor visited Sammy at 3:30 and pronounced that he is a perfect specimen.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday October 15, 1984

 Moorhouse Inn, Leeds Phoned Horton and spoke to my prodigal parents. Ally has to go to the brewery next week on a food hygiene course and I...