20220704

Tuesday August 31, 1982

 Left Ally at home to her own devices and returned to the YP. Told Geoff Hemingway and Bob [Cockroft] that Andrew Hudson, son of the YP chairman, had got himself engaged. Dismal day. Sarah accused me of being over industrious. The others took the opportunity of Kathleen's absence to do absolutely nothing. Phoned Mama. John is back from Stranraer and in bed with a tummy bug. The baby, who looks like Catherine, is to be Hannah Maria. _________. Ally phoned me at the office to moan about the lack of DIY shops in Lidget Green. She took a bus into town and bought more fennel [paint]. I had a brief lunch and escaped at 4:20 leaving Mrs Slocombe painting make-up on her ever expanding face. The bus, homeward bound, was full of rough women, and I, at the back, was surrounded by whores who had just been visiting loved ones in Armley Gaol. I too would want to be 'doing time' with women like that sitting at home. Ally had put fennel [paint] on the alcoves, and has chosen a green pattern paper for the remaining walls. I did a bit [of decorating] but felt tired and disinterested. Ate roast lamb. Watched TV. Esther Rantzen at the zoo. Parrots eat sponge fingers.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...