20200417

Tuesday February 19, 1980

_. Shrove Tuesday

Andrew: Duke of York?
Prince Andrew is 20 today, and in a few days time they are shipping him out to the USA on naval duties. Most of our recent kings have been sailors, and surprisingly many second sons have become king. I wonder whether in time he will be Duke of York in the steps of his grandfather and then King?

I devoured the traditional fourteen pancakes for Shrove Tuesday. Poor Mama started mixing the batter at lunchtime. After tea Mum and Dad went out for a walk, supposedly to walk off the stodgy pancake day offerings. Odd. They never go walking, and to do so on a dismal, dark, February night is startling, to say the least.

I spent half an hour trying to get through to Ally on the phone. She was speaking to Bessie [her mother]. She was sweet. I rarely phone her at night. Usually I ring first thing in the morning or when she's at the AHA. It was at the forefront of my mind that she was speaking to Sailor Dave. Am I developing a jealous trait?

-=-


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday March 21, 1987

 Moorhouse Inn, Leeds LS11 5NQ As you have no doubt fathomed by now our plans to move from the Moorhouse have grounded on the rocks of apath...