20200417

Tuesday February 19, 1980

_. Shrove Tuesday

Andrew: Duke of York?
Prince Andrew is 20 today, and in a few days time they are shipping him out to the USA on naval duties. Most of our recent kings have been sailors, and surprisingly many second sons have become king. I wonder whether in time he will be Duke of York in the steps of his grandfather and then King?

I devoured the traditional fourteen pancakes for Shrove Tuesday. Poor Mama started mixing the batter at lunchtime. After tea Mum and Dad went out for a walk, supposedly to walk off the stodgy pancake day offerings. Odd. They never go walking, and to do so on a dismal, dark, February night is startling, to say the least.

I spent half an hour trying to get through to Ally on the phone. She was speaking to Bessie [her mother]. She was sweet. I rarely phone her at night. Usually I ring first thing in the morning or when she's at the AHA. It was at the forefront of my mind that she was speaking to Sailor Dave. Am I developing a jealous trait?

-=-


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...