20200515

Saturday May 10, 1980

_. Slept until 12:30. Mum and Dad went off with Dave B, Jim and Margaret to the Hermit at Burley Woodhead [Lynn was out with Sue & Ally purchasing bridesmaid gowns in Bradford].

Peter came up for me and we went to collect Chippy, supposedly to go to Menston to be measured for morning suits, but fate took us, surprise, surprise, to the Shoulder of Mutton, where we sat reminiscing. At 3 we went into the tap room there to watch the start of the FA Cup final and saw West Ham score what proved to be the only goal of the match against Arsenal.

In the mood for more frivolity we returned to Chippy's for tequila sunrises and Cointreau. Mrs Ash, Chippy's mother, was furious and screamed at us playing the stereo at full volume. We were so far gone that we talked Chippy out of working his night shift at the asylum, and we went into Guiseley and fell in with the doors as the White Cross opened. I believe that the proprietor asked us to leave, which we did peaceably. Our next port of call was the New Inn where the incumbent landlord was also similarly displeased with our near paralytic behaviour. I lifted a very large ash tray from the bar and inserted it down my trousers and afterwards presented it to Peter as an early wedding present.

From the New Inn we went to Peter's and I phoned High Royds, and told Chippy's superior at the asylum that the poor boy had been inflicted with botulism, and obviously couldn't carry out his nursing duties. I laughed down the phone because as I was speaking Chippy was standing on his head in the corner of the room. Later we bumped into Jim and met Sue and Ally at the White Cross. On to a pub in Leeds, I think in Headingley. Chippy collapsed and vomited everywhere.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...