20200513

Tuesday April 29, 1980

_. A glittering gathering at Tong for Jill's eighteenth birthday party. People too numerous to mention. By now you must have a very good idea who attended, and who did not. The Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Windsor and Isaac Bashevis Singer fall into the latter category. I was unaccompanied because Ally was at the Belfry until 11. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Karen was wearing an alluring gown which at one point detached itself from her cleavage and plunged to the carpet. The Bacardi and coke flowed. Back at Wilsby at 10:30 we were joined by Ally - I named her 'Alicia' for the night. Steve's friend Phil thought I was calling her 'elixir'. That's near enough. By 2am people were drifting off but Ally and I sat with Hilda and Tony discussing local politics and Yorkshire terriers. Back to Club St at 3:30. We wrote messages on Ally's bare bedroom walls for future generations to marvel upon.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...