20220127

Tuesday March 30, 1982

The divine Diana in Leeds.

 Went by bus to Leeds and walked to the railway station where I had my first sighting of our future Queen, the Divine Diana. A vision in emerald green amidst what must be the largest crowd ever assembled to view a member of the royal family in Leeds. She was with the prince, our future King, but he tends to fade into the background. They were driven off to St Gemma's Hospice to look at terminally ill cancer patients. Poor devils. I jostled through the mob of OAPs [old ladies crawl out of the woodwork on these occasions]. Saw Jim and Muriel Rawnsley in the official party [she was like a peacock], with the sycophantic Lord Lieutenant Sir William Bulmer, and the Lord Mayor [of Leeds]. Back to the YP for 10am with Tim Clayton. Leeds was at a standstill all day because of the royal visit. I sat smiling over my coffee that a twenty year-old girl can be such a draw. The magnetism of royalty is eerie. I phoned Ally to report my Diana-spotting.

Home at 6. Pea and ham soup followed by fried eggs and chips. One can't beat it. Later, Ally reclined with an Agatha Christie volume. Watched Humphrey Bogart in a comedy, didn't really watch. I took to my Burke's Peerage to attempt to answer Jonathan Margolis's question. As far as I can see only twice in 'modern' times has the crown gone to a male with an elder sister living. In 1760 George III succeeded and he had an older sister, Augusta [1737-1813].     In 1901 Edward VII had an elder sister, the Empress Frederick, alive, but about to die in Berlin. She died in August, 1901. I hope to God that the Waleses have a boy.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...